LEAD WITH EMPOWER PODCAST
There are many different definitions of leadership and theories on what great leadership looks, sounds, and feels like. The Lead with Empower Podcast connects listeners with those who are “in the trenches” leading themselves and others each day in schools, on the field, and in their communities. We will learn about their unique leadership style and identify common traits between tremendous leaders through our guests’ personal stories and insight – inspiring our listeners to unleash their leadership potential at home, school, work, or on the field, and in their community.
Dr. Terrell Hill
Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources – Windsor Schools
Founder and President of Black Leaders and Administrators Consortium, Inc.
Google Play Podcasts
Season II of the Lead with Empower Podcast
Dr. Terrell Hill Leads with Empower
“Leadership is about legacy – being out front, taking a risk, and making a way for those following you. You get blessed to be a blessing to others!”
Dr. Terrell Hill has over 27 years experience in education and educational leadership – currently serving as the Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources with Windsor Public Schools. In addition to his work with Windsor Schools, Dr. Hill is also the Founder and President of the Black Leaders and Administrators Consortium, Inc. (BLAC). You will find out very quickly during our episode that Dr. Hill is all about leadership – sharing wisdom and insight from his 27 years of experience with students, educators, educational leaders, and more! Highlights from our episode include:
- The importance of leadership during the uncertainty caused by the COVID-19 pandemic; blending the “whatever we need to do to get this done” attitude with flexibility, and a level of calmness to exist and thrive during moments of uncertainty.
- A discussion about Windsor Schools’ past work with Empower Leadership (New Teacher Orientation Events and Administrative Retreats) and the importance of “comfort zone expanding” experiences for educators.
- Learning about Dr. Hill’s journey from Springfield, MA to the United States Army, and to his current role with Windsor Schools; including those who influenced him along the way!
- Dr. Hill’s dissertation study, The Career Paths of Black and White Superintendents, and how his study served as an inspiration to found BLAC, Inc. Learn more about BLAC at www.blacleaders.org
Al Carbone Leads with Empower
“If you’re not telling your story, someone else is and they’re probably doing it wrong!”
Al Carbone is in his 17th year as Commissioner of the Southern Connecticut Conference (SCC) – one of the premiere athletic conferences for high school sports in the State of Connecticut. Al, a formal high school and collegiate athlete from East Haven, CT, does a tremendous job as the ambassador for the SCC. Al and I discuss the return of high school sports in Connecticut and much more during our episode, including:
- Al’s background in athletics and his role/responsibilities as the Commissioner of the SCC.
- The current state of high school sports – most notably, the decision making process with regards to restarting high school athletics this Fall.
- Leadership lessons that high school athletes across the State can glean from the impact COVID-19 has had on high school athletics.
- Why the return to high school sports is so important for athletes, their families, and their school communities.
James Lightfoot III Leads with Empower
James is currently the Director of Youth and Education Programs for the Urban League of Springfield, Inc. In addition to his youth development work with the Urban League of Springfield, Inc., James serves on multiple boards of the local chapter of the Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity. James and I discuss many topics during our episode, including:
- James’ journey from Detroit, MI, to Grand Valley State University, and Springfield College. James shares stories about his “personal commitment challenge”, his study abroad trip to Australia, and his calling as a youth development professional.
- The importance of helping youths and young adults identify their vision, develop an action plan, and make the most out of every situation in school, at home, and in your community.
- The challenges youths and young adults have faced in 2020 and the mentorship, leadership, and support provided to uplift and empower those young adults!
- How James leverages performing and creative arts in his mentorship and leadership of the youths and young adults her serves.
Dr. Ted France Leads with Empower
Ted is a faculty member in the Physical Education and Health Education major at Springfield College and also serves as the President of the Faculty Senate. Ted is one of, if not the best experiential educator I have ever crossed paths with – a true craftsman! Ted and I discuss many topics during our episode, including:
- A behind the scenes look at the operational tempo of the leaders at Springfield College to prepare for a return to campus in the Fall
- Leadership advice for students and teachers who are embarking on a very unique start to school
- “Eye opening” moments as physical education students at Springfield College
- The philosophy and implementation of experiential education
- The education and development of leaders through intentional skill development experiences
Lead With Empower Podcast
Listen to Season I
With 24 episodes filled with leadership insights, Season I is still available to listen to.
Visit our archives page to check out these episodes!