“Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.” This is one of many famous quotes from the ancient Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu. Born around 600 BC, Lao Tzu would go on to author the Tao Te Ching which outlines the spiritual philosophy of the Taoist tradition. The Tao Te Ching offers direction on going beyond the physical world and believes the qualities of humility, modesty, and simplicity are the ways to personal enlightenment. This ancient philosophy suggests the most effective leadership style is to lead from behind, not seeking power, but using methods of persuasion to keep people on track:
“Wise men don’t need to prove their point;
men who need to prove their point aren’t wise.
The Master has no possessions.
The more he does for others, the happier he is.
The more he gives to others, the wealthier he is.”
TRAINING THE LEADERS
Empower’s training and development programs set out to provide leadership and team building knowledge, best practices, and resources to the people who need them most. Corporate leaders, coaches, teachers, camp staff, youth leaders, residential life staff, orientation leaders, and more need tools to be able to engage their audience in ways that stimulate change towards improvement and provides transformative experiences.
EQUIPPED FOR SUCCESS
In these challenging times, the “passive learning experience” is not effective when it comes to personal development. Empower’s training and development programs equip organizations with the tools to create a transformation from negative to positive, from group to team, from ordinary to extraordinary using experiential learning methods designed to get your group out of their comfort zone and on board with your goals and vision.
Want to talk to our experts?
If you’d like to get more information about how we can use adventure to help your team? Reach out to us.
Empower Training and Development Services
Empower Leadership provides an ongoing suite of services to include:
- Needs assessment and personal leadership inventories
- Program planning and curriculum development
- Training sessions teaching the art of facilitation
- Shadowing and coaching during execution
- Activities booklet, facilitation guides, and online resources
- Props and materials that go along with activities
- Ongoing coaching and mentoring
Throughout this process it is Empower’s intention to teach organizations and their facilitators/instructors all about our experiential learning model of engaging groups and teams in a series of metaphorical activities. Within any one activity groups will need to:
- Define the goal, roles, interactions and process
- Identify the problem to solve within this activity
- Solve the problem through creativity, collaboration, and productive communication
- Participate in facilitated discussions to reflect on learning points
- Develop an action plan to apply lessons learned to the next activity and, more importantly to their real-world application
It is in these experiences that the learner is able to see immediate feedback from their behaviors, and those of teammates, and can use that experience to improve their current approaches to work, life, sports, family, etc.